27-29 November 2023
Space Traffic Management
Discuss and gather perspectives on the recommendation on space traffic management within the “For All Humanity – the Future of Outer Space Governance” Our Common Agenda Policy Brief:
“Develop an effective framework for the coordination of space situational awareness, space object manoeuvres and events.”
Space Surveillance and Tracking
Discuss ways to enhance space surveillance and tracking capabilities to improve situational awareness and data sharing for STM as well as improvements to current orbital debris measurement coverage for the safe operations of space missions.
▪ Highlight the importance of space surveillance and tracking capabilities for effective STM.
▪ Identify key measurement gaps and explore ways to collect data on small, untracked debris which are important to mission safety and protection.
▪ Discuss strategies to enhance data collection, analysis, and sharing to improve space situational awareness and provide accurate information about space objects.
▪ Discuss different methods to collect measurement data (radar, optical, in-situ, laboratory) on orbital debris large and small.
Orbital Data and Catalogues
Discuss the different approaches to cataloguing SSA data, including federated and centralized approaches, to improve the accuracy and accessibility of information about space objects.Discuss the different approaches to cataloguing SSA data, including federated and centralized approaches, to improve the accuracy and accessibility of information about space objects.
▪ Emphasize the significance of regularly updated database(s) containing comprehensive information about space objects.
▪ Discuss the technical aspects of maintaining an accurate and accessible catalogue that includes orbital parameters, ownership details, and other relevant data.
Explore collision prediction and avoidance techniques to mitigate the risk of space collisions.
▪ Focus on the critical aspect of collision prediction and avoidance in space.
▪ Explore, for example, advanced algorithms, models, and protocols that enable accurate orbit determination, conjunction analysis, and coordination of manoeuvre planning. Highlight best practices and coordination mechanisms to minimize the risk of collisions.
Interoperability of Space Operations
Address the challenges of space traffic coordination, identifying methods to promote the adoption of international standards and best practices for safe and efficient space operations in the context of interrelated international space cooperation.
▪ Highlight the importance of interoperability and standardized operations in the STM regime.
▪ Discuss international standards and best practices for spacecraft design, deployment procedures, rendezvous and docking protocols, and on-orbit operations.
▪ Explore opportunities for alignment of international cooperation on space traffic coordination with the goal of ensuring equitable and efficient usage of radio spectrum.
▪ Examine opportunities for leveraging international mechanisms for space weather coordination.